Old Goa - Today

CONVENTO E IGREJA DACRUZ DOS MILAGRES
(THE CONVENT AND THE CHURCH OF MiRACULOUS CROSS)
On the southern side of the city there is a hill named Monte de Boa Vista. It is the site of the abandoned Church of Cruz dos Milagres and the Convent of the Congregation of the Oratory. Tradition attributes the origin of this Church to a miracle which took place in 1619. It is described in the Ms., Chronica da Congregaçao do Oratorio. The Church fell down in 1659 and was rebuilt in 1671. A few years later it was handed over to some native priests who had formed a religious community called Congredacao do Oratorio. Ven. Fr. Jose Vaz joined this Congregation in 1685. When the religious orders were suppressed, thirty six members who lived there were forced to leave the house.