The Seven Day Bible Rosary - The
The first mystery of the Preparation
Mary consents to be the Mother of
God has a universal will for all of us which is
contained in the Ten Commandments, the Great Commandment
of Love, and the precepts and the moral teaching of
God also has a special will for each one of us. For
Mary, God's special will was that she should be the
Mother of the Messiah. Her acceptance is the model for
We pray for the grace to accept God's special will for
1. The angel Gabriel was sent from God to a town of
Galilee called Nazareth.
2. To a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph of the
house of David, and the virgin's name was Mary.
3. And the angel said to her: "Hail, full of grace,
the Lord is with thee."
4. When she heard him, she was troubled at his word,
and wondered what sort of greeting this might be.
5. And the angel said to her: "Do not be afraid
Mary, for you have found favor with God.
6. "Behold, you shall conceive and give birth to
a son, and you shall call his name Jesus.
7. "He shall be great, and shall be called the
Son of the Most High; and his kingdom shall have no
8. Mary replied to the angel, "How can this be
since I know not man?"
9. The angel said to her: "The Holy Spirit will
come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow
10. And Mary said: "Behold the handmaid of the
Lord; be it done unto me according to your word."
The second mystery of the Preparation
Mary goes to help her cousin Elizabeth
Mary has just been given the greatest honor of the
human race the Motherhood of the Messiah, the Motherhood
of the God-Man. At the same time she is told about her
She does not expect to be waited upon because of the
honor God has given her. Instead she promptly leaves
home to help her older cousin.
It is noteworthy that in this first example of Christian
service, help is extended to a member of Mary's own
family. How peaceful will be the Christian family inspired
by this spirit of being helpful to others.
We pray for the grace to be helpful to others.
1. "Behold, your cousin Elizabeth has conceived
a son in her old age;
2. "She who was called barren is now in her sixth
month, for nothing is impossible with God."
3. Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country
to a town of Judah, and she entered the house of Zachary
and greeted Elizabeth.
4. When Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, The babe
leaped in her womb.
5. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and
cried out with a loud voice -
Hail Mary Glory be
6. Saying: "Blessed art thou among women and blessed
is the fruit of thy womb.
7. "And how have I deserved that the mother of
my Lord should come to me?
8. "The moment I heard your greeting, the babe
in my womb leaped for joy.
9. "Blessed is she who believed that the things
promised her by the Lord would be fulfilled."
10. And Mary said: "My soul shows forth the greatness
of the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
,the babe leaped in her womb.
The third mystery of the Preparation
Jesus is born in Bethlehem
The angels announce the birth of the Saviour as good
news of great joy." In taking on our human nature,
God the Son poured himself out for us, and from this
we learn that joy comes from the giving of self.
Another message of the angels is that joy comes from
personal acceptance of Jesus as our saviour. The proud
can never experience this joy, for they refuse to admit
their need for salvation; or they pursue a futile chase
for joy in pleasures and possessions.
We give thanks that the Son of God came to save us.
1. Joseph and Mary were in Bethlehem for the census,
the time came for her delivery;
2. And she gave birth to her first-born son, and wrapped
Him in swaddling clothes;
3. She laid Him in a manger because there was no room
for them in the inn.
4. There were shepherds in the same region,living 'in
the fields and keeping watch over their flocks at night.
5. And behold, an angel of the Lord came to them, and
the glory of God shone round about them, and they were
very much afraid.
6. The angel said to them: "Do not be afraid for!
bring you good news of a great joy which is for all
7. "Today in the town of David there has been born
to you a Saviour who is Christ the Lord;
8. "And this will be a sign for you: you will find
an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in
9. Suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of
the heavenly host, praising God,
10. And saying: "Glory to God in the highest, and
on earth peace to men of good will."
The fourth mystery of the Preparation
The Holy Family fulfills the law
It is common to be tempted to think that we are above
the law. Almost anything suffices for this temptation-a
bit of excellence in athletics, the arts, or education;
personal Achievement, political office, recognition,
or honors. These can feed the germ of false pride which
can lead us to think we are above God's laws instead
of giving humble thanks for whatever we have received.
Joseph and Mary knew that they were very special, unique
in the history of mankind. Yet they did not think they
were above the law.
We pray for an increase in religious obedience.
1. When the time came for her purification according
to the Law of Moses, they took Jesus to Jerusalem to
present Him to the Lord.
2. There was in Jerusalem a just and devout man named
Simeon, looking for the consolation of Israel, and the
Holy Spirit was upon him.
3. When the parents of the child Jesus brought Him into
the temple, Simeon took Him into his arms and blessed
4. Saying: "Now you can let your servant go in
peace, O Lord, according to your word, because r eyes
have seen your salvation."
5. And he said to Mary: "Behold, this child is
destined to be a sign which is rejected, and your own
soul a sword shall pierce."
6. When Jesus was twelve years old, they went up to
Jerusalem for the Passover as was the custom.
7. After the feast was over and they were returning,
the boy Jesus remained in Jerusalem, but his parents
did not know it.
8. After three days, they found Him in the temple, sitting
among the teachers, listening, asking them questions,
and amazing them with his understanding.
9. And He said to them: "Why did you look for me?
Did you not know that must be about my Father's business?"
10. And He went down with them to Nazareth and was obedient
to them, and his mother kept all these things in her
The fifth mystery of the Preparation
John the Baptist prepares the way for Jesus
The last event in the divine preparation for the public
ministry of Jesus was the preaching of John the Baptist.
He was led by the Holy Spirit to preach the call to
repentance as Jesus would also do. And for teaching
marital faithfulness, he paid the price of martyrdom.
St. John the Baptist is the first adult martyr of the
New Testament; he is the only one to die specifically
for his witness to the marriage bond.
We pray for the gift of true repentance.
I. John the Baptist was in the wilderness of Judea,
preaching: "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is
2. The people went out to him and were baptized by him
in the Jordan, confessing their sins.
3. Then he saw many of the Pharisees and Saducees coming
4. He said to them: "Brood of vipers, who warned
you to flee from the wrath to come?
5. "If you are repentant, bring forth the right
kind of fruit."
6. Herod seized John and bound him in prison because
Herod had married Herodias, the wife of his brother
7. John had told Herod, "It is not lawful for you
to have your brother's wife."
8. Herodias wanted to kill John, but she could not because
Herod feared John, knowing he was a just and holy man.
9. But Herod said to the daughter of Herodias after
tier dance: "Ask me for whatever you want, and
I will grant it."
10. She asked her mother, "What shall I ask for?"
And she said, "The head of John the Baptist."