Old Goa - Today
CAPELA DA NOSSA SENHORA DO MONTE
(CHAPEL OF OUR LADY OF MONTE)
On the eastern side of Old Goa, there is a bill where
this Chapel was built soon after the reconquest of Goa.
Adil Shah defended Goa with his artillery, from this
hill where he was attacked by Afonso de Albuquerque.
Like the hill called Monte Santo (where Albuquerque
was posted at the time of reconquest) this also commands
a beautiful picture of the surroundings. A long flight
of stone stairs leads to the Chapel.
The Archaeological Commission placed here a marble slab
in 1931 with the following inscription: AQVI POSTOU-SE
A ARTIL-HARIA MAOMETANA CONTRA AFONSO DE ALBUQUER-QUE
PARA RETOMAR GOA EM MAIO DE 1510 (The Moham-medan artillery
was posted here against Afonso de Albuquerque in order
to defend Goa in May of 1510). It is located near the
site of Convent of S. Domingos. It was built in 1557.
It was reconstructed subsequently. According to Pyrard
de Laval, it was as big as a church. It has three altars
and an attached residence. A Chaplain of the Cathedral
was in charge of the Church and he lived there. He celebrated
Mass during the Novena and the feast of Nossa Senhora
do Monte and for 15 days during each month of summer
and for 10 days during each month of Monsoon season.
Later the Cathedral Chapter fixed two masses during
each month besides the novena and the feast. This chapel
was recently restored by Fundaçao Oriente.