The Seven Day Bible Rosary - The
The first mystery of the Public Life
Jesus is tempted in the wilderness
Jesus experienced and overcame the temptations that
all of us experience-the temptations to materialism,
presumption, and the temptation to do evil in order
to accomplish something good.
The last temptation may have been this: to worship Satan
in exchange for the souls ofthe rest of mankind.
This would have been the greatest possible temptation
since Jesus had come to save each one of us .In his
answer, Jesus teaches us that we may never do what is
wrong even to accomplish some good purpose, that the
end does not justify the means.
We pray to overcome all temptations.
1. Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness
to be tempted by the devil.
2. And after He fasted forty days and forty nights,
He was hungry.
3. The tempter said to Him: "If you are the Son
of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread
4. But Jesus answered: "It is written, 'Not by
bread alone does man live but by every word that comes
forth from the mouth of God."
5. Then the devil took Him into the holy city and set
Him on the pinnacle ofthe temple;
6. He said: if you are the Son of God, throw yourself
dowii, for it is written, 'He will give his angels charge
of you, and on their hands they will bear you up lest
you strike your foot against a stone.'
7. Jesus said to him: "It is also written, 'Thou
shalt not tempt the Lord thy God."
8. The devil took Him to a high mountain and showed
Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory.
9. "All these things I will give you if you will
fall down and worship me."
10. Jesus said to him: "Begone, Satan! for it is
written, 'The Lord thy God shalt thou worship and Him
only shall you serve."
The second mystery of the Public Life
Jesus begins his preaching with a call to faith
and a change of heart
The gospel is summarized by the simple message with
which Jesus begins his public preaching: "The kingdom
of God is at hand; undergo a change of heart and believe
in the gospel."
We know from our own experience that having a change
of heart is not just a one-time thing. We need continual
conversion so that we can walk more closely with the
We ask God that we and our families will walk the narrow
path with Jesus so that we may enter by the narrow gate
that leads to eternal life.
We pray for continued conversion to the Lord
1. After John the Baptist was imprisoned, Jesus came
into Galilee, preaching the word of God;
2. He says: "The time is fulfilled and the kingdom
of God is at hand. Undergo a change of heart and believe
in the gospel."
3. "No one can serve two masters; you cannot serve
God and money."
4. "Don't be anxious, saying 'What shall we eat
and drink?' or 'What shall we wear?"
5. "Unbelievers seek all these things, and your
Father knows that you need all of them."
6. "But seek first the kingdom of God and his justice,
and all these things will be given you besides."
7. "Enter by the narrow gate, for wide is the gate
and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and
many follow that way."
8. "For the gate is narrow and the way is hard
that leads to life, and those who find it are few."
9. "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord, shall
enter the kingdom of heaven,"
10. "But he who does the will of my Father shall
enter the kingdom of heaven."
The third mystery of the Public Life
Jesus teaches us to love our enemies and each
The phrase about hating your enemy is not in the
Old Testament. It may have been a way of saying you
had less obligation to love your enemy; or perhaps it
meant you could be indifferent to foreigners.
Jesus changes that. He teaches that we must love our
enemies. And St. John reminds us that we must love each
Love is not easy. If it were, God would not have to
command us to love each other as well as our enemies.
We pray for the grace to love those who persecute us
and to work for their conversion.
1. "You have heard that it was said, 'Thou shalt
love your neighbor and hate your enemy."
2. "But I say to you: Love your enemies, and do
good to those who hate you."
3. 'Pray for those who persecute you and tell lies about
4. "Do so in order to be children of your Father
in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the good and
evil, and He sends rain on sinners and saints alike."
5. If you love those who love you, what reward shall
you have? Do not even the tax collectors do that
6. "If you greet only your friends, what more are
you doing than anyone else? Don't even unbelievers do
7. "You are called to be perfect even as your heavenly
Father is perfect."
8 .St. John wrote: If anyone says, "I love God"
and hates his brother, he is a liar.
9. The man who does not love his brother whom he does
see cannot love God whom he does not see.
10. This commandment we ha from the Lord, that he who
loves God should love his brother also.
The fourth mystery of the Public Life
Jesus teaches us about marriage and a right heart
God knows that husbands and wives are subject to the
temptation to become indifferent to each other, to feel
sorry for themselves, and even to imagine occasionally
that life might be better with someone else. So Jesus
reaffirms the original reality that marriage is truly
The Lord also knows our human weaknesses and our tendency
to use other people, so he reminds us that lust is not
Chastity is the spiritual energy that enables us to
place our sexuality at the service of authentic love.
We pray for marital faithfulness and for purity of
1. Pharisees came to test Him by asking, "Is it
lawful for a man to divorce his wife?"
2. Jesus said to them: "From the beginning of creation,
God made them male and female.
3. "For this reason a man shall leave his father
and mother and cleave to his wife, and the two shall
4. "So they are no longer two but one flesh. What
God has joined together, let no man put as under."
5. His disciples asked Him about this again, and He
said: "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another
commits adultery against her;"
6. "And if the wife divorces her husband and marries
another, she commits adultery."
7. "You have heard that it was said, 'Thou shall
not commit adultery."
8. "But I say to you that anyone who looks at a
woman with lustful intention has already committed adultery
with her in his heart"
9. "Out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder,
every form of sexual immorality, stealing, lying, and
slander, and these defile you."
10. "Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall
The fifth mystery of the Public Life
In his miracles, Jesus shows us his divine power
at working in the world
In curing the paralytic, Jesus added something not found
in most of his miracles. He noted that this miracle
was a sign of his divine power to forgive sins, a sign
that people should believe that He was sent by God and
that his words were true.
Lack of faith leads to divisions within the Church.
Lack of faith also leads to the loss of moral vision
and to divisions within families. Only the grace of
God can overcome these divisions.
We pray for the great moral miracle of the healing
of divisions within the Church and right within Christian
1. As He preached to them, four men brought a man who
2. Since they could not get near Jesus because of the
crowd, they made an opening in the roof and lowered
the paralytic on his mat.
3. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic,
"My son, your sins are forgiven you."
4. Some of the scribes questioned in their hearts: "Why
does this man speak this way? That's blasphemy! Who
can forgive sins except God alone?"
5. Jesus immediately knew in his spirit that they were
questioning within themselves;
6. So He said to them: "Why are you questioning
this way in your hearts?"
7. "Which is easier? To say to the paralytic, 'Your
sins are forgiven you'? or to say, 'Arise, pick up your
mat and walk'?"
8. "So that you may know that the Son of Man has
power on earth to forgive sins" He said to the
paralytic: "I say to you, arise, pick up your mat,
and go home."
9. He rose up, took up his mat, and walked out in the
sight of all.
10. The people were all amazed and glorified God saying,
"We have never seen anything like this."